Thursday, August 30, 2012

Friend or Foe?

If it hadn't happened twice before, I'd think of it as simple coincidence, and that I just happened to be sitting in a momentary hovering place of a hummingbird when it flew near to me. But after yesterday's third encounter with a tiny glistening thing zooming in close enough to look me in the eye, I've come to believe our ruby-throated hummers are a delightfully curious species—and that it might have been the exact opposite of coincidence. Is it possible they zoom in intentionally to wherever I'm long-sitting for the purpose of checking me out?

Yesterday morning I was enjoying a second cup of coffee on the deck, having just seen Sarah and the children off to school, when a ruby throated fellow caught my eye zooming from the feeder to the cherry tree. Next thing I knew he zoomed to a hovering place about ten feet in front of me, then closer, to about two feet away, where he hovered sideways, the better to get a good look at my face. I could hear the hum of his wings. He is aptly named. We looked directly into each other's eyes for a long and breathtaking moment. I don't know what he was thinking, but I was fully entranced.

I like to imagine he carried a message from the universe that it was time to get writing, but he was more likely on a mission to discover what kind of creature would sit so still for so long, and if I posed a threat to his kind. He must have determined me safe because he went directly to the feeder from my sphere of energy.

It's not unusual to see hummingbirds at the sipper now, nearing, as we are, the southward migration season.  But to stare one in the eye was a magical experience that transported this writer straight into her story. Thank you for that, Mr. Literal Redneck. dkm

11 comments:

Jane Robertson said...

'Mr Literal Redneck!!!

I am sure it was no coincidence. I wonder if he was interested in your eyes - the one part of us that glistens?? What a wonderful experience :-) Our little fantails (Piwakawaka in Maori) also come very close and chatter away in their squeaky way. They are on the hunt for insects disturbed by human movement - but it is nice to think they are also curious and companionable.

I need to think about your last two posts and how they might help me settle back into a routine - something I am struggling with right now...

dkm said...

I am equally intrigued by your fantails, which I learned about from Niki.

I discovered how hopelessly dependent on routine I am when I retired, and could suddenly waste whole days and weeks puttering away at almost nothing. For all those thirty years of school teaching I was under the mistaken impression that I was a disciplined individual!

Pukeko G said...

Perhaps he is an alien checking you out ? Aren't you lucky to see and hear him ? ;o}<

Pukeko G said...

OR ... perhaps after the second coffee he thought you could keep up with him humming around the place ? (I tried to comment the other day and 'it' didn't let me)

Ellen said...

We've also experienced hummingbird curiosity
as well as hummer wariness.

They are very interesting creatures.

Sounds like you have made a transient friend.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful experience. I'd love a hummingbird in my face :)

I'm having so many problems with my computer :( Time to get a new one I think.

dkm said...

Good luck on computer issues. I just got a new one in June and have had no end of troubles learning the new technology. Messed with everything I thought I knew! May a hummingbird fly in your face;-).

dkm said...

But so glad I got old data migrated to new computer, because soon afterward, the old machine crashed for good. Word to the wise: Don't ignore the warning signs!

bibi said...

Debbie, it reminds me of an early morning run when I paused to see a little rabbit stop short in front of a concrete rabbit just his size in a neighbor's front yard. I stood for the longest, quiet moment, wondering what in the world he was thinking. It seemed like forever that he studied the little statue before he noticed me and took off.

dkm said...

Thanks for that story :-). What could it be if not curiosity?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.