Monday, June 5, 2023

Bluebird Nestwatch 2023

In the spring of 2021, an unknown predator, likely a raccoon, possibly a hawk, ate a nest full of four newly hatched bluebirds from the birdhouse in the back corner of the yard. I was horrified to find the damaged roof and empty nest, just days after the hatch. We repaired the roof, but no birds have nested in that house since, after having done so every year since 2010. And now the squirrels have chewed out the entrance hole to the extent that no songbird could ever feel safe in that house. Who can blame them? It bears the kiss of death.

So in March of this year, I hung a new birdhouse in a different location--from the eave of our house at the end of the deck. I doubted bluebirds would nest so near civilization, but I hoped for wrens or finches, both having reputations for nesting on porches. I found a few sticks in the bottom of the house soon after hanging it, but no further activity. Whoever started with the sticks must have chosen to nest elsewhere. 

The setting















Then one afternoon early in May I was sitting in that wicker chair in the photo, enjoying a cup of tea and a good book, when I heard the distinctive male bluebird murmurings of mating season behind my shoulder. Churrrr-chur-chur. Sure enough, a slow turn revealed Mr. Blue perched on the new birdhouse. Was he hoping to get lucky, or had he already been? As I watched, he flew away and returned immediately with a stick to drop into the house, then another and another. He didn't seem to mind my presence. 

After depositing enough sticks inside the house to declare his intention, he disappeared for a few more minutes, then, lo and behold, returned with the object of his affection, a handsome female, to show her his proposed location. Bluebirds! And I had a front row seat. Too bad my i-phone 12 camera was not up to the challenge, but I'll share what I could get. 

Mr. Blue presents his proposed location




















He invites Ms. Blue to look inside





















He makes his argument by
fluttering in and out of the house
and all around her.
She watches stoically.

























He asks. She demurs. 



They discuss. 




















He awaits her decision
 from the banister beneath the house
watching her every move














In the interim weeks I've seen them flying around the deck and feeders, but couldn't tell if they had built a nest in the box, until one day last week when Mr. Blue carried in sticks all day. All week I saw them both at the feeders more often. There is also a speckled newly fledged pair still being fed by Mr. Blue. Sometimes Ms. Blue comes to the feeder and "scolds" them gently, which surprises me, because I didn't think she could speak. Yesterday she chased them off the feeders and scolded me at the opposite end of the deck before she flew into the house and stayed there. This confirmed for me that she's sitting on the eggs of her second brood. I don't know exactly when she laid them, as I've been staying away from the deck, not wanting to disturb, but it was sometime in the past week. Today I took this quick peek in the house after I saw her make an exit. 


 







Bingo. Nestwatch 2023 begins. Expected fledge date: sometime near the end of June.  

It's a miraculous time of year.  ~dkm 6-5-23


5 comments:

Joan Watson said...

Lucky you, Deb! I love bluebirds and had them this past winter, at my feeders, for the first time ever. I will be watching your blog, in hopes of seeing those babies.

Deb Miller said...

Joan, if they’re at your feeders, try hanging a bluebird house where you can watch it. They have to nest somewhere, why not in a safe house near a reliable food source?

Deb Miller said...

Dear Anonymous, I’m no expert and admit to anthropomorphizing in the captions, but the photos do tell the story…

Barb said...

I feel like I’m a little part of this event since I was with you when you bought the house and put it up! This is so very exciting and I’m glad I can see it via your posts! 💙💙

Deb Miller said...

Barb, you were absolutely the inspiration behind this new house. I should have mentioned that in the post! You were also with me the first time I witnessed a fledge from a birdhouse in this yard. Remember those house wrens? Since that time, it's become a tradition with my neighbors to watch at least one brood fledge each year. We gather at a safe distance with binoculars and snacks to witness the miracle.