Monday, July 1, 2019

Housewren Puzzle

Can you spot Father Housewren in this photo? He's in plain sight, if you know where to look.


I've been looking for him and his nest since he started singing his heart out on June 3rd in the vicinity of the prickly holly bush in the photo. It's too dense to see into. He sings here all day every day but I've not been able to locate his exact spot.

From past nest watches in more visible places I know the housewren's relentless twittering begins just before his mate lays her eggs, continues through the approximate two weeks of incubation, two more weeks of feeding their hatched nestlings, then stops abruptly on the day the nestlings fledge, which I expect to be any day now.

The song of the male housewren is a remarkable thing to behold, considering his size, how hard he has to work to produce it, and its perpetual nature while he's protecting a nest. Some even consider it annoying for its non-stop repetition. One member of my morning coffee and yoga group who has appreciated the exuberance of his song has characterized the egg phase as, "Oh, joy, I'm going to be a father," the nestling phase as, "Oh how I love being a father," and today's frenetic tone as, "Oh thank goodness, they're leaving soon."  Any parent can identify.

This morning Mr. Housewren sang so loudly and so ceaselessly I was powerless but to stand long and peer into the bush toward the source of the sound. If one stands still enough and searches long enough, bingo.  Here's the same photo from above, blown up and cropped, in case you, like me, couldn't spot him at first. ~dkm



6 comments:

Jane Robertson said...

Is he right up the top???

We have a thrush who has been doing the same thing for the past several weeks. Just about all day he sings such a delight.

Today he was quiet. Russ and I think he might have found his mate!!!

dkm said...

How wonderful. Love the song of the thrush---do you have the same kind we have? Hermit and wood thrushes? Also curious because aren't you in the dead of winter now? Likely not nesting season yet? Maybe you're right that he's trying to attract a mate---or maybe he's just singing because he can.

dkm said...

Jane, I forgot to confirm that yes, he's near the top in the distant photo---but just below center in the close-up---a silhouette against the sky---his beak is wide open---aimed toward the left---hard to see---

Jane Robertson said...

Ah, we just have one type of thrush - an import from the UK. Probably a song thrush I guess. He too chooses the topmost branch to broadcast to the world! I do think he might be declaring his territory - and letting all the local gals know he's available!

dkm said...

Follow-up on July 5th: The day after I wrote this post, Mr. Housewren went suddenly silent, after having sung every day all day from June 3rd to July 2nd. My guess is the nestlings fledged on the morning of July 2, though I haven't seen them at all. In the three intervening days since July 2, I've heard the wren song only occasionally, but he's clearly still hanging around. Perhaps he's hoping to get lucky again. There's likely enough time for one more clutch before winter. Will add updates here in the comment section, if any develop. ~dkm

Jane Robertson said...

My goodness, they do work hard - a second clutch!! Our thrush has gone silent. We miss his constant song.