Friday, September 16, 2022

Back in Vermont

Here for a month to assist my daughter after a severe back injury, I hope to sneak in another round of manuscript submissions between caregiving activities. This daughter and her wife live on the side of a mountain, looking across the valley to another rim of mountains on the other side. A more inspiring place to live or work or retreat  I cannot imagine. 

Every morning I start here...

















...and go here...













...to breathe the breath of the universe and plan our work for the day.

Spectacular time of year for an extended stay in Vermont and to share the changing of the leaves.  But it's more than the color of the leaves. It's the chill of the air, the quietude of the place, the exhilaration that comes when you stand on the edge and take it all in. Breathe deep and join me as I post from the same POV every week to share the visible changes. 

Progress report: One week down, three to go, MRI happened, back somewhat improved, third Covid boosters received, three submissions accomplished, leaves still multiple shades of green. 

~dkm 9-16-22




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deb, I love your writing and the place you are doing your writing. Also, glad you will be posting on FB because I rarely remembered to check out your blog. Sorry!

Jane Robertson said...

I visited Vermont in 1989. I loved it. Maybe it reminded me somewhat of New Zealand? It's a most unfortunate event that has brought you to Vermont Deb but hopefully you can play your part in the healing process and enjoy a glorious Vermont Autumn.

dkm said...

Yes, Jane Robertson, some of the views are very New Zealand like. Mountains not quite as rugged , and none of your gorgeous teal blue waters that I remember so vividly, but lots of wide open mountain views, and sheep farming. What brought you to Vermont? And might you ever come again? Because that would be worth a trip up here for me for sure!
Hannah's back is getting better by the day, and she's able to walk slowly with a cane for longer periods. I think she'll be pretty independent by the time I leave later this week--except for driving.

Jane Robertson said...

That's such good news Deb. A very close friend of our family - my Auntie Nora (not a blood aunt) lived in Boston for 10 years during and before/after the war. She was friends with a family who lived on Cape Cod. I visited her special friend Priscilla when I was on a Fulbright Travel Grant in 1989. Pricilla's son and his partner and small children lived in Vermont and Priscilla drove us there to visit. They lived in a converted old schoolhouse out in the country. We were in a maple syrup producing area I remember us all walking down the road to a barn where they served pancake breakfasts with maple syrup. It was magic. Totally my sort of place. I loved Cape Cod too.

Anonymous said...

I have missed seeing your blogs!! Gld you can post them here’n