Sunday, October 9, 2022

The Lure of a Path

What is there more enticing than a path? And few are as welcoming as the one my daughter-in-law Lisa has created through the woods behind their house in Vermont. It has the features you want in a fine path:

1) The invitation of a slightly challenging entrance with a sturdy banister to help you over the ancient stone wall into the woods beyond. Lisa crafted the banister by wedging a fallen branch between adjacent boulders and tree trunks, sure and steady: 

2) A clear route into the unknown:

3) A loyal dog to lead the way:

4) Or two dogs, even better:

5) A good place to drop your glasses for Lisa to find on the next day’s walk:

6)  A bench for a momentary rest…


7) A tree trunk doorway from one level to the next:

8) A rotting foot bridge over a shallow ravine:

9) A new sturdy footbridge across a deeper wider chasm:

10) Natural branch borders to mark the way:

11) Pavers in muddy places:

12) A log to step over here and there:


13) A scattering of lime green ferns to give  you pause…
 …until next visit…

~dkm 10/9/22




4 comments:

Liz said...

I just took this walk with you in my mind.

Jane Robertson said...

I love the slow reveal. Love stories with pictures!!

Anonymous said...

Great to see you here, Liz! ❤️ I’m still figuring out how to use the new configuration and learning how to reply to comments. Hope this comes through!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane! I always like the visual layer too. I see that my response to Liz said it was from anonymous. Trying something different here. Hope it works!