Saturday, June 10, 2023

What IS This?

Anybody know?  Spied in the grass today not three feet from my feet while "longsitting" on the backyard swing for my daily hour. Curious!














Much as I hesitate to display my ignorance, I thought it was some sort of egg sac or gel. But when poked with a stick it wouldn't dislodge. It's growing from the ground. 

The “Picture This” app says it’s a stinkhorn mushroom, but it doesn’t look like any of the images of stinkhorns I found online, most of which looked more like the name of the genus they belong to: Phallus. I’ll leave you to look them up for yourself. Just google “stinkhorn mushroom.” Nature never disappoints 🙂 

Meantime, if you know the positive ID of this thing, fungus or egg sac, do tell in the comment section, and do please include your name. Backyard spectator wants to know.  

~dkm 6-10-23





5 comments:

Barb said...

So very interesting! I hope someone is able to identify it!

Frank said...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremella_fuciformis

Anonymous said...

I think this more likely a slime mold than a stinkhorn. Slime molds are fascinating!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Frank and Anonymous. Slime mold certainly sounds like my sample looked, but the images I found online were quite different. The snow fungus looks closer but my sample isn’t quite that frilly. Still, both these suggestions are closer than stinkhorn, methinks.

Deb said...

That was Deb, btw, responding to Frank and Anonymous. Not fond of the new regulations that make it so hard to comment with a name!