Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Backyard Visitor

 Coyote in the back yard. 7:30p.m.  Skinny. Hungry. Sniffing in the grass and searching in the places where we saw a rabbit earlier that day. 

Blurry photos, taken at dusk from the deck and blown up. He was clearly aware of me.  




 I've never been afraid of anything in my own yard. But I'm thinking this will ensure that my trips to the compost corner in The Wayback will happen before dusk from now on. And I'll be burying the kitchen scraps quite a bit deeper.

~dkm 9-5-23 

5 comments:

Jane Robertson said...

Oh! I know nothing about the implications. Are coyotes dangerous? He is skinny. Does this mean they are struggling to access food and are being driven into residential areas? Sad. My immediate instinct is to feed him/her but that's obviously not the way to go.....

Anonymous said...

Jane, I had all the same questions. This link answered most of them. I worried that my compost heaps might be attracting them, but they are meat eaters, and I never bury meat products, so I hope I’m safe there. There is a wild woodsy grassy lot behind our house and lots of rabbits, squirrels, and chipmunks around, so I imagine that’s the draw. There are always stories circulating of family pets being killed by coyotes, so in general they are not welcome visitors. https://varmentguard.com/blog/coyotes-dangerous#

Peggy said...

Yikes! Very scary!! He was definite leery of you.


Barb said...

Are you sure you’re not in Kansas? Their howling gives me the shivers! It sounds like they are laughing and not in a fun way!
Do you ever hear them at night?

Anonymous said...

I enjoy visualizing you in your fab way back waiting for the daily drama and always finding some. I remember the cries of the coyotes when we were at Ghost Ranch. They sounded distressed! Do you hear cries at night?