- The Los Angeles homeless population and I, waiting together for the downtown L.A.Public Library to open/we lined up in orderly fashion when the security guard opened the doors/entered in single silent file/we shared the second floor/I in my carrel, writing/they in theirs, sleeping or reading/a kind of solidarity/we did not disturb each other/I love that public libraries are open to the homeless/more open than most churches/how is that?
- Big Sur/OMG/Big Sur
- The thing about Big Sur: that its carved rugged beauty, ever moving, has been there for millions of years, since long before we evolved to admire it/we're not the reason it's there/why the beauty?
- Sunset over the Pacific Ocean/view from Nepenthe/nice photographer
- Torrey Pines/cone from Moe's golf outing/this pine cone deserves its own blog post/as does Big Sur/but I cower in the face of their magnificence/the pine cone's one-in-a-millionness/Big Sur's one-and-onliness/my pencil goes still
- The Redwoods/OMG/and the Sequoias/like Elaine of Seinfeld again/describing hell:-)
- Olallieberry Inn/olallieberry jam/the word as delectable as the fruit/a berry's berry
- Biking across Golden Gate Bridge with eight revised chapters on my back to give to editor in Sausalito at Cibo
- The views from the bridge/the sun on SF/on Alcatraz/on Sausalito/a fogless morning
- The good pinch of muscle/leaning into SF hills
- The sea lions on Pier 39
- Savoring the food in Chinatown and North Beach
- The woman who wanted only 25 cents/her scratched and bleeding throat, her twisted limbs/her rheumy eyes/her Chinese accent/her satisfaction with a quarter/A QUARTER/when my wallet was full
- The vast table of clouds from the Airtran window/BEING above the clouds/IN the poetic welkin/not the first time/yet the first time
- Yellow cast of fall light through the color-turned woods welcoming us home
- Leaves/green when we left/red on return
- Air/transformed from mushy to crisp
- Pinestraw cushion on the swing
Sunday, November 21, 2010
The seat of the John James Audubon swing was covered with a four-inch deep fluffy mix of pinestraw and leaves when we returned from our trip to the west coast. Beautiful colors. Twelve days away. A thousand observations worthy of blogposts. No way to catch up. Unless---a list---a name-only list---as a way at least to trigger my own mental reflection, however incomplete. Oh joy---I relish a good bulleted list. An efficient short-cut.